All relations for each table are listed under Relations under the table. This means that the same relation is listed under both the tables involved.
Each relation has a default name that consist of the two table names with a "-" between, but it can be renamed. A relation contains one or more relation items, i.e. relations between two fields.
When adding relations, the available settings depend on the endpoint types you have selected for the model - see Adding a Semantic Model.
To add a new relation on a model where Qlik is the only endpoint type enabled
- Drag a field from one table on the model to field on another table and the click Yes when asked if you want to add a relation.
To add a new relation on a model where the endpoint type SSAS Tabular or Tableau is enabled, follow the steps below.
- Drag a field from one table on the model to field on another table. If the cardinality of the tables involved is not one-to-one, drag from the "one" table to the "many". A window appears with settings.
- In the Cardinality list, click on the option the represents the cardinality of the table relationship.
- In the Filter direction list, click on option you prefer:
- To [table]: [Table] is filtered by the other table in the relationship.
- To both tables: The tables filter each other.
To add a new relation item to an existing relation
- Drag a field from one table on the model to field on another table and click on the existing relation in the menu that appears.
Changing the Default Relation
You can have multiple relations between two tables. The first one will be designated as the default relation, which are necessary in some endpoints.
To set a relation as the default relation
- Right click the relation and click Set as default relation.
Changing a Relation's Cardinality
Note: This setting applies to SSAS Tabular and Tableau endpoints only.
Each relation has cardinality. In the tree, the cardinality can be identified on the relation items as follows:
- --: One to one
- -<: One to Many
- >-: Many to one
To change the cardinality for a relation
- Right click the relation, click Cardinality and click on the cardinality you want for the relation.
Changing a Relation's Filter Direction
Note: This setting applies to SSAS Tabular endpoints only.
Each relation also has a filter direction. To change the filter direction
- Right click on the relation, click on Filter Direction and click on the filter direction you want to set for the table.