The scheduler stopped working in production. Yesterday I restarted but it still not running.
How can I fix this issue?
I have gone through the below document.
Scheduled Execution issues - Did it not start, did it fail, or is my execution still running? – TimeXtender Support
On my computer the recovery options were disabled.
Best answer by sguntupalliView original
It can’t restart if it somehow stops running, so you will have to check it manually or get the Admin to do this change.
There are other suggestions for resolving scheduling issues in the guide besides this.
Try those and see if they are why it does not start.
@sguntupalli the link has been corrected now. Which user are you running the scheduler with? You can see this in the Services window
You mention that the scheduler is running, did you successfully restart it?
I am not successful.
It was showing as running but the databases do not update.
Please try to restart the scheduler service again.
Is the scheduler only failing in Production? i.e. the scheduler works in other environments?
When you say that you “Ran TimeXtender as a different user (logged as TimeXender service user)” did you use the scheduler user firstname.lastname@example.org? Did you do this on the production environment connecting to the production repository database?
Did you make any changes to the execution package schedule? If so can you please ensure you have deployed the project after these changes were made
Did you upgrade TimeXtender recently? Have you ensured that no older versions of the scheduler service are running? Please delete or diasable old versions (prior 20.10.36) of the scheduler service
Please setup recovery options for the 20.10.36 scheduler service as shown below
For further troubleshooting, can you please try logging into the Production machine running TX as the scheduler service user and running the execution package manually to see if that works?
Please review Event Viewer > Application Logs for TX Scheduler Service related errors
Here is an example:
If the events from LogEngine are not showing up in Event Viewer, check the following setting in Tools -> Options
In regards to SQL permissions, please expand security and logins and check that email@example.com is a sysadmin
I restarted the scheduler it is working now. Please help me to understand why it was stopped.
From the log it appears that the execution package Warehouse HDP was skipped because Project HDP Warehouse(Prod) was already executing. Based on your screenshots it appears that the execution HDP Warehouse(Prod) is from a different project. It is not possible to run two execution packages from different projects at the same time. If the execution packages are part of the same project, then it is possible to run them at the same time using the concurrent packages feature, given that they do not run the same objects. Please make sure that the schedules are set up so that there is least two minutes between each scheduled execution.
you may not be able to set recovery actions on the scheduler service because your account may not have the rights to do that.